Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Guanaja - Travel with your Pet to Honduras

Guanaja Honduras, the first time traveled down to this Bay Island paradise, my husband and I went by ourselves ... normally we travel with our small dog Houdini and we found that we missed the little guy. He really wouldn't be a bother, just some pre -planning would be required.

We booked on TACA and they confirmed with an email. They allow 2 pets per cabin and with a Distancia card (frequent flyer), he flies for FREE ...great! I found out that all pets going into Honduras are required to have a current Rabies certificate as well as an International travel certificate issued by their vet within 10 days of travel ... OK..... we can do that.

Every animal must visit a vet within 48 hours of arriving in Honduras ... so, next on the list of "to do's" was to locate a Vet in Honduras that will meet us at the airport when we fly into San Pedro Sula....for this I e-mailed my friend Guanaja Sharon. She and her husband Mike have lived in Guanaja for over a decade and they know all the ins and outs .... she is a "font" of information. Well I wasn't disappointed! Sharon wrote back the name of a vet and all the contact info for Dr. Ortiz. Her email is : littlechamps2002@yahoo.com.mx and she emailed me a reply within a day. She will meet us at the airport and take care of all of the paperwork for us. Her fee is $1oo. I have heard through the grapevine that many vets charge much more.

Houdini has already packed his sunglasses, heartworm and flea preventative in his bag ... and,
so far, everything looks green for go for "Prince Houdini of Capri" ... soon he will be Gaunaja bound!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Denise,

Did your dog require a microchip to travel to Honduras? Did it need any other kind of certification other than documentation of a rabies vaccine within 10 days of the trip? Thanks! (I am planning my own trip)

Also, are you worried at all about issues bringing the dog back to the U.S.?