Friday, February 8, 2008

Guanaja Honduras - How do you Pronounce That?

Guanaja, pronounced Gwa-nah-ha. I first heard of this Bay Island about five years ago. My husband and I purchased a boat from a couple that were selling because that were going to move permanently down to the Bay Islands in Honduras.

At the time, Honduras seemed like a long way to travel for paradise....my husband and I had our mind focused in on the Bahamas.......and that's what we did. We traveled all over the Bahamas, enjoying the crystal clear waters, the warm breezes and running from hurricanes, expensive food, ridiculously high cruising permits and the crazy fishing regulations. We purchased a condo ... YIKES ... high property taxes. Everything has two sides!

A new year begins and we remember Cindy and Jim, the nice folks that we bought our boat from, wonder if they are still down there....didn't they do real estate? GOOGLE is a wonderful thing, I put their names in and POOF, there they were, their website done in bright, tropical colors, selling property down in Gaunaja. A quick e-mail and later that day we spoke on the phone. Our interest was piqued and soon turned into an almost obsession to learn about this island paradise that has not yet quite been found by the masses.

I fancy myself somewhat of an internet researcher and I searched out anything to do with Guanaja and Honduras.....obsession turned into excitement! We loved what we saw...I emailed a few Americans that owned property down there. We craved more information about this island gem. The one thing that I came away with was that everyone I had contact with was extremely helpful and friendly. What a terrific community!

We can hardly wait to visit in person, just to kick the tires a bit..........soon we will be Guanaja bound!

1 comment:

Brian said...

What happened???